You do not need to be a computer expert or have the latest technology to be a student at Lincoln Christian University - whether you are taking courses on-campus, on-site, or online. However, virtually all of our courses require students to access course information over the Internet, and many courses require assignments to be submitted electronically. If you are an online or extension site student, you need a fairly current computer (see recommendations below) with high-speed Internet access. If you are an on-campus student, you also need the same technology, though our campus does provide current computer labs and wireless Internet access.
Virtually all of our courses require access to our online learning platform called Angel, which provides students access to everything from course syllabi, assignments, and lesson material, to their grades, schedules, and bill paying. Whether you are an on-campus, on-site, or online student, you should be aware of LCU's hardware and software recommendations and requirements.
- PC with Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz processor or higher and Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Vista, Windows 7 or 8; or Apple Mac computer with similar processor and Mac OS X 10.6 or higher
- Memory of 3 GB RAM or greater
- Monitor with 1280x1024 display or higher
- Hard drive of 100 GB storage (though less storage will work); DVD drive also recommended
- Speakers with sound card (standard with laptop/notebook computers)
- High-speed Internet access such as a broadband connection through DSL or cable
- Wireless 802.11G or N network card (not necessarily needed for online only students)
- Web browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher or a current version of Mozilla Firefox. [Note that other browsers are not supported because they will not fully work with our systems.]
- As for email, LCU offers each student a free Web mail account. Also acceptable are other email products that are compatible with POP3 or IMAP (receive) and SMTP (send) capable software or clients, such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, or Google Gmail
- All assignments submitted electronically must use Microsoft Office or a compatible format (with .doc/.docx, .ppt/.pptx, .xls/.xlsx file extensions)
- A PDF (Portable Document Format) reader such as Adobe Acrobat 8.0 or greater or Mac Preview (included in Mac OS X)
- Anti-virus application such as AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, Norton, or McAfee [Note: LCU's network has many layers of protection, but having your own is still recommended]
- Other software recommendations (including such plug-in applications as Apple Quick Time, Adobe Flash Player, Java Script, and Windows Media Player) are required to view video or hear audio files that are used in many courses
- Depending upon the course, some instructors may also have additional software and/or hardware requirements (e.g. some speech courses require video recording capabilities); if there are course-specific requirements, your instructor will note those in the course syllabus