Hymnals of the
Enos E. Dowling Hymnal Collection
A project like this is the result of many hands and minds working together. The staff of the Jessie C. Eury Library would like to thank the following for their contributions to this web site:
- A special thanks to Illinois Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White for the Educate and Automate grant which funded this project.
- Our deepest appreciation goes to the late Enos Dowling for bequeathing this remarkable collection of hymnals to the library. His passion for these hymnals has been an inspiration and motivation for us while working on this project.
- Thanks to the Disciples of Christ Historical Society and to Christian Theological Seminary for granting us access to some additional hymnals.
- We are also grateful to the Christian Standard and the Christian Board of Publication for granting us permission to use advertisements from some of their nineteenth century publications.
- Thanks are also due to the scholars who have provided background materials and annotations: Jacob Wilson, Dr. Tom Tanner, and James Orme.
A digitization project could never be accomplished without the hard work and expertise of technically adept individuals. We'd like to thank:
- Jay Griffin for his work with scanning and graphics (as well as his passion for the subject matter),
- Trevor Cochell for designing and implementing the database to manage all of the hymns, hymnals, and associated files,
- John Sarno for playing in all of the MIDI tunes,
- Lori Urton for extensive data entry,
- Infobahn Outfitters for their design and implementation of the original web site.
- Curt Heinold for the photographs of the various hymnals as well as to the family of Mercedes Norheim for granting us rights to use her paintings of Campbell, Stone, and Scott.
- The following student workers at the Jessie C. Eury Library who typed in hymn texts: Trevor Cochell, Jay Griffin, Matt Haglund, Keturah Potter, James Orme, Elsy Samuel, Rachael Shelley, and Emily Storm.
- Several other people who helped type in hymn texts: Kimberly Cochell, Suzanne Gowin, Deborah Martin, Rebecca Shelley, and Heather Shoemaker.
Finally, we want to thank all of you who are using this site. We can labor to prepare, but it is up to you to make use of the site. If you have any ideas or suggestions about how to make this site more useful, please email us.
Nancy J. Olson, Project Director
Michael J. Reid, Assistant Project Director