Dr. Njeri Bere
Professor of General Education
Office: Chapel Building, Office 102
- PhD, Indiana University, Indiana
- MA, University of Nairobi, Kenya
- BA, University of Nairobi, Kenya
- 2010: Awarded the Lincoln Christian University Outstanding Faculty sponsored by The Issachar Institute, LCU, Lincoln, Illinois
- 1999: Nominated as "Professor of the Year" at Illinois Wesleyan University.
- 1999: Nominated for the "The Esther L. Kinsley Awards." in recognition for "Truly Outstanding Thesis," Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
- 1997: Awarded American Association of University Women (AAUW) fellowship.
- 1994: MacArthur Fellowship Award by the Indiana Center for Global Peace.
- 1993: Fulbright Award for travel to Indiana University for doctorate studies
- Njeri Mbugua (2009). “Why the ABC Model for Prevention of Sexual Transmission of HIV Infection Has Been Opposed by Sub-Saharan Africans for Decades” in Strong Women, Dangerous Times: Gender and HIV/AIDS in Africa. Nova Science Publishers.
- Njeri Mbugua (2007). “Factors inhibiting educated mothers in Kenya from giving meaningful sex-education to their daughters” inSocial Science & Medicine 64 (2007) 1079–1089.
- Ezekiel Kalipeni and Njeri Mbugua. (2005). A review of Prevention Efforts in the Fight against HIV and AIDS in Africa. The Norwegian Journal of Geography (2005) 26-36.
- Njeri Mbugua (2004). “Strategies for Prevention of Sexual Transmission of HIV/AIDS among Adolescents: The Case of High school Students in Kenya” pp 104-120. In HIV and AIDS in Africa: Beyond Epidemiology. Malden, MA: Blackwell Pubs.
- Jim Sikora and Njeri Mbugua, editors (2004). Introductory Sociology Resource Manual Sixth Edition. Washington DC. American Sociological Association.
- Njeri Mbugua (2001). “The Global Healthcare Challenge” pp 482-501. In Sociology for a New Century. Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge Press.
- Njeri Mbugua (1996). Empowerment of Third World Women against AIDS. African Studies Program. Indiana University.
- Numerous social science book chapters and article reviews.
- Novel: Njeri Mbugua (2005). When Elephants Fight, the Grass Suffers. Pleasant Word publishers
- Papers: Numerous presentations at local, national and international forums including ASA, MSS, ISA, NAPCE and various churches in the US and Kenya.
- Lectures and Sermons: Numerous presentations at local institutions and in various churches in the U.S. and Kenya.
- Video: Njeri Mbugua. September 2004. Socio-cultural Factors and Global Beliefs Surrounding Sex and HIV/AIDS in Africa. Produced by Cure4Kids, St. Jude’s Research Hospital.
- SS 101 Introduction to Sex and Gender
- SS 164 Introduction to Sociology
- SS 223 World Human Geography
- SS 260 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- SS 268 Introduction to Non-Western Religions
- Formerly Njeri Mbugua
- 1997: Gave birth to Kena Sifa Bere in Indiana ─ the kindest, most loving and humorous daughter who once termed herself a “Kenyan Hoosier.”
- 2003: Completed Chicago Marathon in 7.09 hours to become The Slowest Kenyan Runner!